How to make a hand lettering wood sign


Hi, folks, there are many ways to make sign such as these using our tools and we're producing a whole series of videos which will show you a whole bunch of tips and tricks so to see our next video just press this button here and subscribe to our Channel.

Here’s a little sign. I'll show you how to do this using the power chisel. This is Amy this is my little granddaughter so the first question is how do you get your lettering and how do you get it onto the wood. The simple ways to get it printed I'm going to imprint that onto a piece of wood I've printed it backwards and what I'm going to do is I'm going to wipe the piece of wood with thinners paint thinners or acetone and then I'll lay this on it and hopefully this will imprint this image straight onto the wood.

I found the technique eventually is best to brush it onto the wood not onto the paper and put it on onto the wood. So first of all, I get in the center to start with I'll go just very very shallow running the line down the center of my letter e as you go around the curved focus on the side that you wish to push down and then come back in the other direction and carve the other side on one side you'll find that you're intending to lift the grain on the other you're tending to push it down as you proceed around curves you have to be very careful not to split the wood always keep your finger in the center of the blade and push the blade down into the V that you're cutting then you can just biased it to one side or the other for sharp corners just swing the base of the tool around fairly rapidly and you can do nice tight little curves I tend to use the 90 degrees V chisel for most of this sort of work if I do it very shallow I get a thin line I push it in deeply I get a nice wide B it's always important to keep your finger on the blade and push it down into the center of any cut that you make that keeps it very steady with the power chisel it's okay to hold the actual blade you won't feel any movement at all as usually now it. it's only for me to fill the carb sections with white paint you can brush it just into the individual cuts or you can spread it right over the entire piece and wipe it off then you just clean it up by sanding and oiling and you have the finished Product.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woodcarving Kit For Beginner

Four Wood Carving Techniques You should Know

What tools should I buy for Woodcarving: Simple Guide